BDO Foundation and PGPC open new school building in Albay

As part of its rehabilitation program in areas affected by recent disasters, BDO Foundation, the corporate social responsibility arm of BDO Unibank, has turned over a new school building in Tiwi Community College in calamity-prone Albay. The province has been affected by the imminent eruption of Mayon Volcano, Typhoon Ruby and recently by Typhoon Nona.

The school building was jointly funded by the foundation and Philippine Geothermal Production Company (PGPC).   PGPC is a Filipino corporation operating the Tiwi and Mak-Ban geothermal facilities.  Allfirst Equity Holdings, Inc., an affiliate of SM Investments Corporation, holds 60% of PGPC's outstanding shares while the remaining 40% is held by Chevron Geothermal Philippines Holdings, LLC.

The initiative is in fulfilment of BDO Foundation's reconstruction efforts in areas affected by disasters, while PGPC's contribution is in line with its corporate social responsibility program in its host communities in Tiwi.

The four-classroom school building addresses the need for more classrooms in the college, which used to hold classes in school corridors to accommodate students.

The inauguration, blessing and turnover of the school building was attended by BDO Southern Luzon region head Geronimo Diaz, BDO Bicol area head Jose Virgilio Alvarez and BDO Foundation program director Rose Espinosa.

Also at the event were BDO Legazpi City-Rizal Street branch head Armando Uy, BDO Legazpi City-Rotonda branch head Lani Domiquil, BDO Legazpi City-Tahao branch head Thaddeus Tuason, BDO Legazpi City-Albay District branch head Gene Lupango, BDO Albay-Daraga branch head Myra Montallana and BDO Albay-Tabaco branch head Maria Yoradyl Adrales.

PGPC was represented by its director for Tiwi Asset Operations Hector Morota and Policy, Government and Public Affairs staff. Tiwi mayor Leo Templado attended as guest of honor.

Founded in 1994, Tiwi Community College offers courses on education and office administration to about 1,600 college students who live in Tiwi and neighboring municipalities. It also serves as a venue for disaster preparedness and climate change adaptation trainings.

The college, which is situated in a 5,228-square-meter land area, is one of the evacuation centers in Tiwi that accommodates two vulnerable coastal barangays.